Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Survival Mode" Advice...



I guess I should clarify, before even clarifying the title of this entry, what is the purpose of this blog.As much as I wish I could say I was blogging about eating Gelato in Italy, or meandering my way across Europe, I'm not (...now those people are living the dream!) Trust me, this blog will not make you envious in any form...

More than anything, this blog is to give advice to not only my fellow peers who are currently undergoing student teaching, as well as my friends entering into contracts with Teach for America.

Before anything, I should note my current situation, which I can summarize through the title of a movie that I have no doubts I'm sure most have seen...

Jaws.

You know the theme song for the movie? That part where the shark is approaching his prey? That is the theme song of my classroom...

...Alright, I'm being slightly dramatic. In all seriousness though, I don't have the ideal situation (...imagine Dangerous Minds...) I, for all those who know me, tend to carry more than I can hold, and do so before understanding situations entirely. So, rather naively, I did not acquire all the information I ought to have before agreeing to serve as an interim teacher in January. I did not comprehend just how disheveled the classroom was, or how unruly the students would be. I entered into a classroom where, unfortunately, the students had no consistent teacher since Day 1, and somehow I had to manage to do it without a cooperating teacher.

Fault is mine, but I will say I have learned more through this experience, and have been on an extremely steep learning curve since January (...that has made me incredibly moody. Apologies to all that know me.) Now, I'm not going to ramble on about the details of the situation since there is no reason to dwell, but offer other teachers, or soon-to-be teachers, who stumbled upon this some advice which has turned, what I had thought to be, a terrible situation into a more bearable one...

1. Don't be too prideful to seek advice. When entering into the classroom as a new teacher, it easy to brush off the advice and support of administrators, veteran educators, and even those closest to you. This can be a huge downfall for all beginning teachers. The "old" do have the "wisdom" that will serve as a saving grace for you when you need it the most. Seek them. Ask for advice BEFORE you jump off that cliff. You will regret it otherwise...

2. You won't be immediately successful. I imagined I could walk into that classroom, and transform the hopeless situation miraculously as easily as if I could snap my fingers, or say abracadabra. Truth is, maybe you can, and I applaud you (please pass on the secret too! Or patent it...now there is a way to make money, and be a saving grace for all beginning teachers!), but the reality is in order to have a successful classroom, you first need to have a relationship with the students. They need to trust you, knowing that you will be present and consistent.Which brings me to point #3...

3. You can't blame the students, or yourself, for the situations they have been through. Some students have been treated in an unimaginable and unforgivable way, both in and out of the classroom. Sure, the students have no excuse for being lazy, but understanding the reason for this can turn the student, and even the classroom around.

4. Don't sacrifice the majority for the minority. Classroom management phrase of the century compliments of several Professors! Remember this phrase, but most importantly, make it present it in the classroom.

5. Don't let anyone tell you that your group of students "are terrible, and nothing can be done about it." I've heard this continuously over the past few months, which I have no doubt in my mind has been a cause of numerous breakdowns. It is important to remember that you can NOT help all students; but, if you walk into the classroom with preconceived notions of students, you will lose sight of the idea of "who they can be."

6. Don't take yourself too seriously, the students don't appeal to it, and it only hurts you more. Laugh at the situations your find yourself in, and relax.  It wasn't until I let my guard down (...which unfortunately took me far too long to realize...) did the students soften up. Seriously, the whole "no smile until Christmas" rule, while great in theory, is hard in practice. Lets be real, if we didn't smile until Christmas, or in most of our cases, Spring Break (which I've concluded is God's gift to teachers...), we'd have gone insane. I'm not saying to be their friend, but I am saying...don't be too stern of a figure. Not to mention, your smile may be the only smile some students see throughout their day...

7. You will have days that you think you chose the wrong career, that you are making no progress, and that you have no idea why you are there. During those days, remember point #1. People don't stay in education for 30+ years having 30+ years of perfect days with perfect students. That is not reality. You will have success at some point, whether it be tomorrow, or even years from now. There are countless simple moments throughout your day that will display to you why you are meant to be in the classroom, and will withhold you from signing a resignation letter. Always remember, teaching is not a perfect profession. No profession is, but there are more than enough beautiful moments to make reason to continue. Even more, it may take awhile to understand this, but it is a career, and all careers don't develop  overnight.

8. Find time for yourself. You'll thank yourself for it later when you realize it is keeps from going insane...

9. Throw those "ideal" pictures of how the classroom will be out the window, but do NOT loose sight of the energy and enthusiasm of holding your own classroom. Ever hear the saying "comparison is the thief of joy?" Well if you haven't, now you have...now try to apply this to the "image" of how things ought to be, compared to the reality of the current situation. It'll help stop you from being too critical on yourself.

10. REMEMBER #1 ...seriously.

11. Remember to breathe, be flexible, and learn how to laugh at yourself, and the situations you find yourself in. It will help you tremendously....oh,' and acquire the tactic of "feigned deafness".... now that will save you! 

In regards to the above, I can honestly say I've been at fault for not heeding to my own advice (...it ought to be stamped on my forehead.) I've been too serious, I've blamed the students, I've blamed myself, I did not seek the advice of those with years of wisdom until it, or at least I thought, was too late. I've subjected the majority for the minority. I can ramble about this for a long time, but I won't. I'm at fault, but I've learned.

I will say, I've had my fair share of rough moments. I've had students perform the "worm on the floor," in the middle of class. I've had them lock my mentor in the classroom with a desk. I've had them spit in front of me. I've left the room to come back to students throwing tennis balls out the window, crayons across the room, and squealing like animals from a zoo. I've had profanity used towards myself, and mentor. I've even had the luxury of having a standing ovation of "I hate you." BUT, I say all this because the following moments ought not to be overlooked, the moments that make it worth it: I've also had students hug me each morning in the hallway, and relieved when they saw I returned after a sick day. I've had a student, most recently, tell me she feels like she can make a difference while being from Thomasville, NC because of a lesson I had given. I've had students make raps to memorize material. I've had students leave my classroom saying "I actually learned something." I've even had a student hang up a phone call with his "banana" phone at lunch to ask me how I was doing (...very thoughtful, right?!) To see a student's face glow after getting a question right, that speaks louder than words. And while behavior may not be the best, I give credit to the student doing "the worm," and to the one who can lift another over his head (...who appropriately earned the nickname Mr. Clark Kent after Superman.) That is talent...

...so what I think is most important to remember, is that teaching is one heck of a messy profession, but an eventful and rewarding one none-the-less!

....and on one final note, compliments to many HPU Professors and mentors for most of this advice is their advice. I really don't have too much room to talk since I've taught for all of almost 2ish months...but I've heard this advice from them continuously, and thought it only appropriate to pass it along helping you survive until Spring Break...and realize you should not go to the registrar and change your major!

No comments:

Post a Comment